California WaterFix: The Delta Tunnels
Recent and Upcoming Commission Activity on the Proposal
- On October 16, 2018, the Commission submitted a comment letter (PDF) to the Delta Stewardship Council regarding the CA WaterFIX (DWR) Certification of Consistency with the Delta Plan. Presentation by Commission members will be on October 24, 2018 in West Sacramento.
- On September 17, 2018, the Commission submitted a comment letter (PDF) to the Department of Water Resources on the WaterFix Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement (SEIR/EIS).
Previous Commission Actions
- April 17, 2017 comment letter (PDF) to the Delta Stewardship Council in regards to the Notice of Preparation for the Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the Delta Plan Amendments.
- The Delta Protection Commission submitted a comment letter (PDF) on November 9, 2015 to the US Army Corps of Engineers urging the Corps to defer consideration of the California WaterFix permit request.
- On October 30, 2015, the Commission submitted a comment letter (PDF) on the California WaterFix Draft Environmental Impact Report and the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement. The comments received during this public comment period have been posted on the Bay Delta Conservation Plan website.
- The Commission’s request (PDF) to the US Army Corps of Engineers for an extension of the comment deadline on their California WaterFix permit request and asking for public hearings in the Delta was denied. The response and the Commission’s reply are available here (PDF).
- Delta Protection Commission issued a comment letter on July 24, 2014, reviewing the Bay Delta Conservation Plan proposal for consistency with its Land Use and Resource Management Plan for the Delta. See the letter (PDF) and associated table (PDF).
- Photo Simulations of Tunnel Conveyance Proposal Impacts. In May of 2014, the Commission released photo simulations of the impact that the proposed Bay Delta Conservation Plan may have on the communities of Clarksburg and Hood. For detailed photo simulations, see the animation on YouTube or see the first (PDF), second (PDF) and third (PDF) layouts. (NOTE: These are very large files, download times may vary)
- DWR’s Response to Photo Simulations. In response to the photo simulations released in May 2014, the Department of Water Resources developed their own presentation. See it here.
- The Commission considered proposed comments on the Bay Delta Conservation Plan and EIR/EIS at its regular meeting on May 22, 2014. See the agenda with related documents, including proposed comments.
- Commission staff conducted a public workshop on April 28, 2014 to hear the concerns of Delta residents about the BDCP and EIR/EIS. See the report (PDF).
- At its May 23, 2013 meeting, the Commission voted to oppose the Bay Delta Conservation Plan as currently proposed. See the May 30, 2013 letter here (PDF).
- At its January 24, 2013 meeting, the Commission voted to request review of alternatives to the Bay Delta Conservation Plan proposal, including a portfolio-based conceptual alternative. See the Commission’s February 1, 2013 letter (PDF) to Secretaries Ken Salazar and John Laird.